Sunday, June 9, 2013

Running update:
6/8  7.5 miles in 1:11:36
6/9  5.0 miles in 45:47
The curse (if there ever was one) is broken!  Forced myself to go out slow and didn’t allow myself to look at my watch, but finished both runs this weekend.
According to my training plan I am due to officially start training again June 23rd as that date marks 16 week until the Hartford Marathon.  However, Jane and I fly to Indiana for her check-up on that exact date, so I thought I’d get a bit of a head start and record a few runs now.  Here’s my brand-new running schedule!
For the time being I am using a training plan from the NYC marathon, though I had to shift some of the work-outs around to fit my schedule.   May hybridize it with a training plan from Runner’s World written by Amby Burfoot (Boston Marathon winner from 1968 who was running this year’s Boston for the 45th anniversary of his win and who was right behind me in the race!!  http://www.runnersworld.com/races/amby-burfoot-so-close-yet-so-far )

Jane update:  It’s been 4-1/2 months on Gleevec and Jane seems to be tolerating it well.  She has only gotten sick to her stomach about once a month, which is much better than the once a week she was experiencing towards the end of her interferon treatment.  The last time she was sick happened to be the day of a field trip to visit her new school for the fall!  She woke up feeling fine, but started to complain that her stomach hurt while we were driving to school.  When we got to school, Jane promptly ran to the bathroom to throw up.  The downside to her infrequent sickness this time around is that when she does get sick, despite bouncing back quickly, her school is more inclined to think it’s a stomach bug than a medication side-effect, and sends her home.  It was a bummer to miss the orientation at Jeffrey Elementary School with her classmates, but Jane does know the school a bit already through her big sister and brother.  Jane had to come with me to my office briefly while I scrambled to find child care.  Here’s the makeshift bed we rigged:

NF update:  My running gear had started to take over my closet, and I finally had the opportunity to clear it out a few days ago.  I discovered that I owned no less than ten different NF Endurance Team/Children’s Tumor Foundation running shirts!  Not surprising, I suppose, since I’m about to start training for my fifth half and fifth full marathon for NFE/CTF.  Here’s the lot of them (fronts and backs):

Helen update:  Have to put in a plug for my oldest daughter—she was chosen as her fifth grade team’s student of the month!  I’m so proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment