Sunday, September 10, 2023

The 2023 Dave Parcells Madison Sprint Triathlon

Yesterday was the 2023 Dave Parcells Madison Sprint Triathlon hosted by a group in our hometown, the Madison Jaycees.  The Madison Jaycees is a civic organization that raises money to support local charities and families in our community.  They host several events throughout the year, including a ThanksgivingTurkey Trot (!) and an annual sprint triathlon.  This year was the 37th annual Madison Triathlon, named for a former director, Dave Parcells.  It is a very family-friendly and novice-friendly event, with individuals, teams, first-timers and para-athletes all encouraged to participate.  There’s even a Kids "Try" category designed for 11-16 year old children to participate with an adult. The race includes a .5 mile swim, a 13 mile bike and a 3 mile run. 

About a week ago, my friend Bridget posted that her triathlon relay team had lost its swimmer (to gout!!) and was looking for someone to replace him.  I was already scheduled to work the day of the race (at HAVEN, a student-run clinic at Yale), but since the race started at 7am and I didn’t have to be at work until 9am, I volunteered!

I had done the Madison Sprint Triathlon once before, in 2021 and while I survived it, it was definitely not my best athletic performance.  My hope was to beat my swim time.  I brought along a change of clothes for work and planned to shower at the beach and then drive straight to work after my leg of the race.  Our team name: Well, We Will Tri!

R to L: Sue (our cyclist), me, and Bridget (our runner)

Remember how I said how serene I found it to swim laps at the Lake of the Woods in Canada?  Well,

Solo lake swimming = Serene

Racing in the ocean with 250 other swimmers = Not Serene

It wasn’t my aforementioned fear of sea creatures that made me nervous.  Rather, it was the swimming equivalent of being trampled!  But we got it done!



I parked across a field from the beach so I'd be able to get to work after my leg.
It was foggy at 6am!

The Madison Surf Club was the heart of the event

My mom even showed up to cheer!

The swim course!!  Half a mile around the orange buoys.


They make you write your age on your calf :/

Out of the water!

After the race, Sue with her husband and Bridget with her 15 year old son,
who finished FIRST in his age group in his first ever triathlon!  Amazing!  

Post-swim shower before work :)

Made it to clinic in plenty of time.  Here is my student team!

Our relay team came in second place in the all-female team category!  …OK, out of two teams :)

Thanks to Bridget and her family for including me in the fun!

~ ~ ~

I'm still hoping to run the Philadelphia Half Marathon in November.  If you haven't yet donated to our fall campaign for the Children's Tumor Foundation, please do!

www.KRath4Jane.com


No comments:

Post a Comment