Monday, February 16, 2015

Jane update:
A reprieve!
The DC area is expecting 6-10 inches of snow so our return to NIH was canceled!!  As wonderful as our care team at NIH is, I am relieved we don’t have to make this trip.  Medical travel for me is always so stressful.   Instead, we visited our hometown pediatrician this afternoon for a check-up and blood work.  (As Jane’s favorite book characters, Ivy and Bean, would say, “Easy-peasy!”)

I never thought I'd be thankful for more snow this winter!

Oh my!

Since Todd had already promised to take Jane's older brother and sister snowboarding today, Jane and I found ourselves with an unexpected day off without plans!  (Unprecedented!)  So, at Jane’s request, we headed up to the Connecticut Science Center in Hartford.  It was a madhouse there today since all the local schools are on break, but Jane is as happy as a clam—and so, therefore, was I :)

At the water table

The "Skin Crawling" climbing wall--part of the Human Body exhibit

Playing with a life-sized erector set


NF update:
One of the issues I reported to Jane’s team at NIH today (via e-mail) was her ongoing skin sensitivity.  The combination of AZD6244, neurofibromatosis itself (for unknown reasons), and the winter air make for a very itchy Jane!  We have managed to keep it somewhat under control with regular oatmeal baths, liberal moisturizers, intermittent steroid creams, and daily Claritin; nevertheless, her torso is crisscrossed with scratches.  Another reason to look forward to spring.

Running update:
2/15/2015 9.1 miles in 1:30:23

I didn't want to fall behind in my training, so I attempted my long run yesterday, post-blizzard, post-shoveling.  I felt pretty good while out there, though I struggled on the streets that were sub-optimally plowed—I felt like I was running through sand.  I cut it a bit short. (I was supposed to do 11 miles.)

Anyway, last night I could. Not. Move.  I felt like I had run a marathon.  Ibuprofen was my friend.

But remember, today snow is my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment