Monday, May 2, 2022

The Providence Marathon (with bonus pictures)

 

Running Update:

Yesterday I ran the Providence Marathon!  It was marathon number 18 for me.



The race starts and ends at the Rhode Island State Capitol

Heading to the starting line

Off we go!  I'm to the right of the photo in my usual CTF blue

Crossing the finish line

Got my medal!



Last night when I was back home with my feet up, still wearing my medal and awaiting our family’s standard post-marathon dinner (Indian take-out), I compiled my review of the Providence Marathon.


PROS:

1  Providence itself is a pretty little city--I hadn't ever really toured the area properly before.

2  It’s a nice sized marathon, not too big and not too small.  About 1200 people ran the marathon, in two waves.  There was a half marathon and a 5K race that morning as well.

3  The whole event was well organized and the course was well marked.

4  There were tons of port-a-potties!!  Those who have run any kind of road race can tell you, this is key.  A half hour before the race start there were still no lines!

5  Perfect weather--sunny and breezy, 40s at the start, 60s by the end.  (Well, maybe I would have liked it a tiny bit cooler...)

6  Most of the course was shaded, and the second half was very scenic along the waterfront of the Providence River or on the wooded East Bay bike path.

7  Nice swag--instead of a typical race t-shirt we got running jackets that seem a fairly good quality.


CONS:

1  The course is advertised as fast and flat.  I’m here to tell you that "flat" perhaps describes miles 8 through 20.  However, the beginning and the end had significant hills--enough to zap your energy at the start and then dishearten you before the finish :(

2  We ran down stairs at mile 24 (!) in a park near the city center.  At this point in any marathon, your thigh muscles are in no condition to navigate stairs.  The fellow running next to me cried out in dismay, "They put stairs in a marathon??"

3  Not as many spectators as some races (if you like that sort of thing--I do).

All in all, I would recommend it.  I’m keeping it on my list of possible races for 2023!

 

NF Update:

Thanks to all our wonderful donors, so far this year we’ve already raised $10,169 for the Children’s Tumor Foundation.  What a great way to start off NF Awareness Month in the month of May! 

I’ll inject a little NF awareness into this post by sharing my perennial favorite explainer from the Childhood Tumour Trust:


And here are more info and activities for NF Awareness Month from the Children’s Tumor Foundation (including photos and videos of Jane):

 

 

Jane and Family Update:

Two weeks ago Todd, Alec, Jane and I spent a week touring some of the National Parks of the American Southwest.  What a treat!  We hadn't traveled anywhere except Canada since the pandemic started.  The kids had a week off from school and I found some inexpensive last-minute flights to Las Vegas.  From Vegas we drove to the Hoover Dam, then on to the Grand Canyon for two days.  Then we drove on to Utah and visited Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park for three more days.  On our way back to Vegas we passed by Cedar Breaks National Monument and stopped at the Valley of Fire. 


Outside the Bellagio

Alec and I viewing the Cesar's Palace opulence
 
Overlooking the Hoover Dam


First day at the Grand Canyon!

Ooh Aah Point :)



Bryce Canyon (and our favorite stop of the trip)

Jane and me hiking "Wall Street" on the Navaho Trail


On to Zion National Park



The road to Cedar Breaks was closed due to snow!

An unexpected gem, the Valley of Fire

2000 year old petroglyphs!


Alec Update:

We’ll have another college student soon!  Alec committed to Lafayette College in Easton, PA.  He is thrilled and we couldn’t be more proud!  Cur Non?  #RollPards <3



No comments:

Post a Comment